Sunday 20 May 2012

The Grand Plan

Following on from a hard day's navvying then I thought it was time to share the grand plan, and that "Houston we have a problem" moment....  See the two maps from Railmodeller software.

Model railways often have a bit of give and take on curves etc because the track is put together with fishplates and it moves etc.  Well, its a good job that I'm not surveying this for real.

The challenge now is to tweak this to include R3 curves (possibly) - the almost "must have" minimum circuit to avoid any big locos having problems, the buildings (platforms and stations) that I have, and to include enough operating challenges and passing loops to make it actually fun to use.

Concept sketch

What Railmodeller tells me I've got if all track is aligned perfectly. 

What I have effectively got - there is an expandable track to ensure it joins, but I haven't understood how to achieve that yet in the software. 

Bottom left corner if I go to LGB R3.  Inner curve is PIKO radius 3 (920 mm radius), Outer curve is LGB R 3 (1195 mm radius)

Top right corner if I go to LGB R3.  Inner curve is PIKO radius 3 (920 mm radius), Outer curve is LGB R 3 (1195 mm radius)

No comments:

Post a Comment