Tuesday 9 July 2013

Magazines - this month's reading

Once again it seems to be a bumper month on the magazine front.


July Continental Modeller with a nice article on a Dutch urban setting (Hoe) which is exactly the sort of thing suited to being modelled in the Garden in G scale.  A (real) Tramway from Switzerland which again matches the LGB small sightseeing cars.   Swiss Z gauge layout (which I feel I've seen) which are always good to see, given how much Rhb stuff LGB make (even if most of it outside my price range).   Interesting articles on (real) Japanese Trams, American inclined railway with a couple of other layouts (French & Sicilian) of interest rounded off by a couple of scenery articles and the usual reviews.  I don't buy Continental Modeller every month as a matter of course (although I have been following the recent series of scenery articles) and July 2013 is to me a bumper issue of things that interest me.  


July Garden Rail.  Headlining the Linz Gstadt Bann in all its Austrian inspired glory - I'm not quite so Austrian themed but a good look at an interesting railway.  The Roundhouse Darjeeling B loco improved - which is a live steam loco that I really like the look of.  Rest of it is the usual fare of reviews, articles etc.  


Real trains.  I bought this for a chum who had been in/out of A&E a bit and wanted to have a quick flick through it before sending it on. Ended up that there was so much I wanted to read - the A4 Pacifics, really nice picture of the Ffestiniog four  George England Locomotives lined up, the Birmingham New Street renovation, Keith and Dufftown railway (aka the Whisky line) and lots more inspiring pictures and articles. 


OK, so this is the quarterly magazine from membership of the society but ... "fame..." I'm in two photos of the show at Stafford on page 25 - third row down. Both scouting out the bring and buy.  The left hand one is my back and rucsac, whilst on the right were looking at things.  Can't remember what Ann seems interested in unless it was the Hartland Mack (which had gone by the time we returned after a complete circuit) or the box in front.  

Finally, Narrow Gauge World no 88 (July- August) is a bumper issue for me personally.  Again, this is an irregular purchase with with a headline article on the Silverton-Durango and other main articles on the Snowdon and the Mariazellerbahn (Austria) then lots for me. 








No comments:

Post a Comment