Thursday 27 September 2012

Real Trains (a pseudo Stainz ?): Hoorn Steam Tram museum 6 November 2011

OK, I have finally (despite mum's dementia, my bad back, my sciatica, the rats from the new school build at the end of the end of the garden, and the rain) sorted out my photos and composed a video medley of my trip last year out to Hoorn.

Hoorn steam tram museum is about 30-40 mins north of Amsterdam central by train, so when I was over last year for the wargames convention that is Crisis at Antwerp I took advantage and went up to Hoorn on Sunday.  The main (only?) hotel in town was a tad expensive (albiet of good quality) but within sight of the station so chosen.

I had a really good day on the Sunday.  No namby pamby Health and Safety laws in the loco sheds, and once I was offered the chance to get into a cab, then I'm off.  Ever since I went to Amsterdam for the first time and the De Hems pub in Soho then I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Dutch.  On this Sunday they were on excellent form - singles and couples to the front two coaches, and the all important coach near the locomotive from my viewpoint - larger groups to the bigger coaches at the back and nearer the buffet cars which may have sold alcohol....

I should have taken the SLR but travelling light all I took was the compact, which in turn decided to play up during the visit and went away to be repaired on my return.

First up is views in the loco shed....
Bit of a tight squeeze and one for an aerial wide angle lens I suspect...






And then we get to the one that I climbed inside.... 








And then we start to get ready for "the off"
The service was hauled by number 16 - "Medemblik"
With valve gear that looks very similar to the LGB Stainz.




The coaches were very similar to LGB models...






I think I'm pushing the limits now of blogger for a single page/post so onto page 2, featuring the video. 

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment